Blackberry OS6 has been officially launched, to upgrade / update your Blackberry to OS 6 you dont need to go to Blackberry service center, because you can do it by yourself and it's very easy.
The following Blackberry upgrade guide can be used to upgrade your Blackberry from OS5 to OS6 (Curve 9300, Bold 9700) or to update Blackberry OS6 to the newer version (Torch 9800, Curve 9780 and Pearl 3G)
Required tools to upgrade Blackberry Smartphone:
- Micro USB cable
- Blackberry Desktop Manager
- Computer with Windows XP or above
- Blackberry OS6 Device Software
Download Blackberry OS 6:
Blackberry OS 6 can be downloaded at http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
Upgrading Blackberry OS6 / OS7
- Install the Blackberry Device Software, after that open C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader folder
- Delete vendor.xml
- To start updating your Blackberry run Loader.exe
- Select your Blackberry PIN and press next.
- You will be presented with options to install language, application, etc. After you finish selecting clik next button.
- In Device Backup, choose Automatic backup the device application... to backup your Blackberry data, or choose Do not automatically backup and restore... if you dont want the wizard to backup your data. (if you choose the later, make sure you already backup your data through Blackberry Desktop Manager)
- In Confirmation screen, check your setting and click Finish button to start updating your Blackberry.
- The upgrade process will take approximately 20-40 minutes.
- When the upgrade process takes place, your Blackberry will automatically restart (don't pull the usb cable until update completed)
- After the upgrade process completed dont forget to do hard reset (remove the battery for 1 minute).
Blackberry OS6 Screenshot in Curve 9300
Blackberry OS 6 benefits:
- More attractive User Interface
- Social Network features that integrated Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo Messenger, Gtalk and Feed in one application.
- Better Web Browser with tab browsing
- Enchanced Multimedia player
- Universal Search
Blackberry OS 6 weakness:
- For OS 6 with 220.127.116.118 and below there's a bug that will make the screen cannot scroll down (in Facebook and network selection)
- Limited theme for Blackberry OS 6
- Not all application can run smoothly in OS6, especially older software that design for OS5
- Memory leak, the web browser will load web pages slowly and access the menu will seem unresponsive. This happened after the Blackberry on for 2 more days (can be fixed with a soft reset or hard reset)
- After the upgrade battery life will be more extravagant and it's normal.
Notice when performing Blackberry Upgrade
To lower the risk when updating your blackberry, make sure you use the original USB cable from the blackberry and when necessary during the upgrade takes place make sure you use UPS or a laptop to prevent power failure.